E42Methods02 – Create and use methods that take parameters.
June 15, 2019 @ 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm EDTPrepaid through Classes or Patreon, or buy here
After creating your first application, you’ll want to program something bigger. Something that does more than print a few lines of text. What you’ll find though is that your program quickly becomes hard to understand. It will be hard to change. Hard to add new behavior. And much too long.
You need to divide your application into smaller pieces of code. These are called methods. And this class will show you how to:
- Declare methods so your code knows what to expect.
- Return information from a method that your code can use.
- Call methods that take parameters and pass arguments that change the method’s behavior.
- Use methods with the same name. This might seem like it would make things more confusing but it actually helps keep your designs simpler.
- Place methods in separate source code files so they’re organized better and you can find the one you want when you need it.
There’s three parts to this class. This is the second part explaining methods that take parameters where you need to pass arguments.
By the end of this class, you’ll be ready to write bigger and longer applications that do more and at the same time keep the level of complexity down so you can understand it.
This is an online class that you can attend from anywhere. All you need is a good internet connection and your computer. It will help if you have a large monitor or even two monitors so that you can watch and follow along at the same time. Headphones or earbuds with a microphone are recommended to avoid echos.
This is a live class where you can ask questions if you like. Or you can listen and learn and follow along without asking anything if that makes you more comfortable.
We recommend that you plan to join a few minutes early to give yourself time to connect. Click the Venue, Virtual GoToMeeting, for details on how to join.
This is the reservation that you can attend as many times as you want once you purchase the class session. If there’s no button below to confirm the RSVP, then this class is not yet available. Classes are usually made available a month or so in advance.